Saturday, January 16, 2010

PyCon Plans

My flight is booked, I'm registered, and I have otherwise been pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed and numbered*. I'll be there for the Language Summit through two and a half days of sprints.

My "Python's Dusty Corners" talk is coming along. I'll be giving a version of it next week at the Microsoft NERD Center (the too-clever acronym for their "New England Research & Development" house) at the first night of the PyCon on the Charles PyCon dress rehearsal. The talk still lacks a strong narrative - "things you might not know about python" is too loose for my tastes. I'll be polling the audience after to pick their favorite bits which will hopefully allow me to narrow the talk to one of two narratives:

  1. Here is a feature that you don't know about and here is what it looks like when a lib/framework does use it and throws an error.

  2. Here are all the ways that attribute lookup can be magic.


.. but if the audience feedback is that a hodge-podge of decorators, protocols, and namespace lookups actually is the interesting story I'll stick with that.

The conference organizers owe me some free drink tickets: The schedule is up and I have a good time slot (afternoon on the middle day) but I'm up against Glyph's "Turtles All the Way Down" talk. Hell, I want to see that talk. Thankfully I can because Glyph is giving a version at PyCon on the Charles night II. Feast and famine: I lucked out last year and had a packed talk because Bruce Perens was scheduled to give a keynote on the exact same topic as my talk (thus priming the pump) but then had to pull out at the last moment due to injury. Does Glyph ski? I'll have to ask him.

Be seeing you,

-Jack

* "The Prisoner" remake was terrible. I disliked it so much I felt the need to write about it on my non-python blog.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I voted to full up the schedule with crummy talks, so people wouldn't face these painful choices between concurrent good talks, but the program committee voted it down. Blame them!

Hope I can see your talk, it sounds great already. Thanks for all the advance work on it.

Jack Diederich said...

@Devlin
PyCon is an anachronism ahead of it's time. The techs did such a great job last year putting the talks online [http://blip.tv/search?q=pycon] that actually witnessing a talk live is it's own and only reward. This suits me fine as the "hallway track" is PyCon's biggest draw.

It's always bikini season said...

Hi thanks for sharing this.